House Rules: If our animal-loving guests would like to give your pets a little extra attention and exercise while you’re busy basting the turkey, ask them to feel free to start a nice play or petting session. Avoid over exciting our pets in what could be a stressful situation for them.
Private Pet Place: It is important to provide our pets with their own quiet safe retreat with fresh water and a place to snuggle. Timid pup dogs and kitty cats will want to escape the clamour. Put their carrying case, kennel, bed or favourite blanket in a separate room away from the and boisterous hullabaloo. Be sure to show them where you relocated it to so they can find there safe zone when needed.
Cheers to New Year’s: As you count down to the new year, please keep in mind that strings of thrown confetti can get lodged in a cat’s intestines in much the same way as tinsel. Noise makers, and poppers can terrify pets and possibly damage sensitive ears. Many pets are also frightened of fireworks, so be sure to secure them in a safe, escape-proof area as midnight approaches.
Be Cautious with Decorations and Seasonal Plants
Toss out the Tinsel: Kitties love this sparkly, light-catching strands that are easy to bat around and carry in their mouths. But if they swallow the tinsel, this can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. It’s best to brighten your boughs with something other than tinsel.
Avoid the Christmas Tree Catastrophe: Anchor your Christmas tree securely so it doesn’t topple over, causing possible injury to pets as the cat plays hide and seek in the tree with the dog. This will also prevent the tree water from spilling. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and our pets could end up with an upset stomach, nausea or diarrhea should they slurp up the spill.
Side-Step the Mistletoe & Holly: When ingested, Holly can cause pets to suffer diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. Additionally many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. Choose a pet-safe bouquet of artificial plants made from silk or plastic.
Wired Up: Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws’ reach. A wire can
deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can cut our precious pets paws, damage our pet’s mouth and digestive tract.
That Holiday Glow: Curious pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over. Please use appropriate candle holders, placed on a stable surface. And if you leave the room, put the candle out! Don’t leave lighted candles unattended.