Christmas Pet Caution

Be Cautious with Decorations and Seasonal Plants

Toss out the Tinsel: Kitties love this sparkly, light-catching strands that are easy to bat around and carry in their mouths. But if they swallow the tinsel, this can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. It’s best to brighten your boughs with something other than tinsel.

Avoid the Christmas Tree Catastrophe: Anchor your Christmas tree securely so it doesn’t topple Christmas Tree Cat TellingTAILS Pet Supplies Grooming Chelmsfordover, causing possible injury to pets as the cat plays hide and seek in the tree with the dog. This will also prevent the tree water from spilling. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and our pets could end up with an upset stomach, nausea or diarrhea should they slurp up the spill.

Side-Step the Mistletoe & Holly: When ingested, Holly can cause pets to suffer diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. Additionally many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. Choose a pet-safe bouquet of artificial plants made from silk or plastic.

Wired Up: Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws’ reach. A wire can Christmas Lights Dog TellingTAILS Pet Supplies Grooming Chelmsford
deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can cut our precious pets paws, damage our pet’s mouth and digestive tract.

That Holiday Glow: Curious pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over. Please use appropriate candle holders, placed on a stable surface. And if you leave the room, put the candle out! Don’t leave lighted candles unattended.